source: Super Healthy Kids
- 2 cup chopped – broccoli, raw
- 2 large – egg
- 1/2 tsp – salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup, crumbs – panko* (japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/2 cup – parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp – olive oil/Coconut oil
- Steam 2 cups of broccoli
- Add broccoli, egg, salt, panko or bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese to a food processor.
- Blend just till chopped finely.
- Using 1 tablespoon at a time, form into balls.
- Heat oil in a skillet*. Drop balls of broccoli mixture into pan. Flatten with a spatula and cook until both sides are crispy.
Tips & Alternatives
- If you wish to grill/fry in the pan; a healthier alternative is use Coconut Oil instead of other varieties i.e.. olive, canola, vegetable.
- If you don't wish to fry you and place mixture on parchment paper and place in a hot (180-200 degrees) oven for 15-18 mins or until golden
- If you are gluten & wheat free households, just use 1/2 cup of almond flour/meal instead or breadcrumbs.
- They use of parmesan or pecorino is far better than a soft or tasty cheese (hence the use of a harder cheese)
- You can add 1/2 cup less broccoli and add grated zucchini (zucchini hold more water so you may need to add a little more breadcrumbs).
- Great to keep in fridge for few days, great for lunch boxes, picnics and snacks.